I will start by saying “Don’t let this deceiving small size jump starter fool you”. New times have come and new technology has arrived and when it comes to the automotive industry, it does not cease to surprise us with all the new ideas, discoveries, and inventions. This jump starter and charger, for example, works like magic. No one expected so much power from such a small device like this, especially when one is accustomed to seeing those bulky boxes used for jump-starting a car.
No longer a small-sized battery means small-sized power capacity. This Anker AK-A1501011 compact jump starter and portable charger, small in size and with a weight of only 2 pounds (1 Kg), has the power to start your car even if your car’s battery went completely dead! The technology used in these devices allows it to deliver a peak current of 400 Amperes! What is that? That is enough cranking power to start from a motorcycle, up to a 6 cylinder 3.0L engine or a 2.5L diesel engine for up to 15 times on a single charge. Those are the manufacturer’s specifications, but I have seen someone start a v8 engine with this, though the battery probably was not 100% dead, but dead enough for not being able to start the car on its own. You could only hear the starter solenoid engaging, but the stater was not moving until this jump starter was connected and then it started very quickly.
This jump-starter/charger also features safety measures, like automatic protection if you accidentally reverse the polarity when connecting the unit to your car’s battery and also features protection for short circuits. This is a very important feature, because in emergency situations, we often do not have available the tools needed to know if there is a short circuit in the car’s battery or in the car wiring system and as you may already know, short circuits in automotive systems almost always means high currents that can start a fire. The ability of this jump starter to manage all those critical factors makes it an ideal tool.
The compact size of this unit is great. You may have it stored in the trunk or even in the glove compartment, as it roughly measures 10″ x 5″ x 4″ inches. Could you imagine? There is no longer the need of using bulky heavy equipment for jump-starting your car’s battery and no need of long jumping wires for jumping from one car to another. This also brings to the scene that you no longer need to look for or wait for someone willing to help you jump start your car with their car, which may also represent a personal security hazard if it is a stranger. Have you ever been stranded for a long time in a parking lot waiting for someone to help you start your car? No longer! Very easy to use. Makes it a great gift for your wife, daughter or anyone in the family!
When the internal battery of the Anker jump starter is weak, it can be recharged in only 3 hours by using the included charger. It even includes a built-in LED flashlight, in case you have the need to work with your car battery in a dark place. Need to charge or power your mobile phone or any other USB powered device? No problem. The Anker Compact jump starter has 2 USB ports for charging and that is something that your Swiss knife will never have 🙂
What is included:
The kit includes the Anker Compact 400A jump starter, a nice case for storing it with its accessories, a 120 VAC wall charger, a car cigarette lighter charger and the jumper wires with clamps for connecting to the vehicle’s battery.
The Anker Compact 400A Jump Starter comes with an 18 months warranty, so you may buy it with confidence.
What is the technology behind this product?
Lithium-Ion Polymer (LiPo) batteries. LiPo batteries can store a huge charge. Charge densities of this type of battery are greater than standard batteries, like Alkaline batteries, Nickel based batteries, and even lead-acid batteries. These are no ordinary LiPo batteries, but special LiPo batteries with a very large discharge capacity. Another advantage is that technically, lithium-based batteries can hold a charge (shelf life) for as long as 5 years.
About using the Anker jump starter
For turning on the flashlight, you will need to press the button and hold it for a few seconds until the flashlight comes on. This feature avoids from accidentally turning it on and discharging the internal battery.
Charging the internal battery:
For charging the jump stater internal battery, just connect the included charger to the jump starter for at least three hours.
Jump-starting a vehicle
For jump starting a vehicle;
1. Turn off the lights or any accessory that might be on and make sure the ignition switch is in the off position and that the car is in parking.
2. Open the engine compartment hood and turn on the Anker Jump Starter. Make sure it has at least 2 blue LEDs lit (charge indicator).
3. Connect the jumper wires to your Anker jump starter if have not done it yet and connect the red clamp to the positive terminal of the vehicle’s battery and the black clamp to the negative terminal of the vehicle’s battery. Make sure that it has a good electrical connection by moving and wiggling a little the clamps while connected to the battery terminals so it gets rid of any oxides or dielectrics.
4. About the 5 seconds wait before starting the engine, I suggest waiting for 10 to 20 seconds before turning the key to start the engine instead. This will allow for the Anker jump starter to pass a small amount of the charge to the car battery, making it even easier to start.
5. If the engine does not start, wiggle again the clamps a little, looking for a better electrical connection and wait another 20 seconds before turning the ignition key.
6. Your vehicle’s engine should be running by now.
When the engine starts, remove the jump starter clamps within 30 seconds. This will allow the alternator of your car to pass some charge back to the Anker jump starter, helping to have it ready for the next time you need it. Still, it is recommended that you check on the jump starter charge status from time to time and charging it as needed. It is so efficient that it is easy to forget about it and it would be a bad surprise if you have it discharged when needed. Again, this is a very low maintenance equipment. Once charged, if not used, the charge will be stored for a very long time in the range of more than a year.
After you jump start your car, make sure you get your battery and vehicle’s charging system checked for defects to avoid the situation from happening again.
Want to make the most out of your Anker jump starter? Here are some tips:
-Charge the internal battery at least once every 3-4 months. The charge has a storage life of more than a year in good conditions, but this is important, as this will avoid shortening the life of the battery.
-Do not attempt to start engines larger than recommended (3.0L gas or 2.5L diesel).
-After jump starting your car, recharge your vehicle’s battery as soon as possible and have it checked for problems of the electrical system.
-Even when it is protected against short circuits, to avoid injuries and possible equipment damage, do not jump the red clamp to the black clamp.
-Disconnect the jump starter from your car’s battery within 30 seconds of starting your car. This allows a refreshing charge back to the jump starter battery from the car’s alternator.
-Do not store in temperatures above 140 degrees Fahrenheit. If you park your car in hot, sunny areas, it is advisable to store the jump starter outside the car.
-Avoid freezing temperatures (below zero degrees Fahrenheit) as it might affect the performance of the jump starter internal battery.
Pro’s about this unit?
– First of all, the great and friendly customer service and support of Anker company
– 18-month warranty
– No messy long wires
– No heavy equipment
– No need of a second vehicle for jump starting
– No need to ask strangers for help
– Internal battery holds a charge for a very long time.
– Even with the warnings on temperature, very low or very high temperatures seem not to affect it in most cases
– Even with the warnings on maximum engine size, it is known that this unit has jump-started v8 engine vehicles without a problem
Con’s about this unit
– None that I have found so far, except that since it works so well, once you have it you will find yourself looking for stranded people for showing up your wonderful tool.